Decorating & Furniture/interior painting

hello, I'm trying to decide what color i should paint our new house and we're trying to get some expert advice about colors since we don't have experience in the topic.
our living room has a dark blue couch with taupe trim, a light beige love seat, 3 glass top tables gray metal with gold, the entertainment center is black and the living room has vaulted ceilings with an arched window any suggestions. Our master bedroom has a black with gold trims bed set, 6 drawer chest with mirror and armoire that's it also with vaulted ceiling.

Hi Joel,

I think a neutral shade such as taupe would work well throughout the house and always looks elegant and crisp against white or ivory trim. The vaulted ceiling could be done in a taupe that is three shades lighter than the wall for contrast.

You most certainly could add in another accent color into your accessories in your living room. You could also go more dramatic in the bedroom. Black and gold are neutrals that work well with almost any color. Determine what colors you enjoy. Check out your clothes for hints. Look in decorator magazines for inspiration. Also, several paint stores offer color inspiration guides on their Web sites. I especially like Benjamin Moore's "My Color Inspiration."

Yours for a Luxe Life,
Susan Matthews  

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews

I'm here to help you create a luxe look by making the most of any room within any budget. I welcome questions about furniture placement, colors, style, accessories and more.

I am a guest host and lifestyle expert for QVC - the premier home shopping network. I'm trained in redesign which entails using what you already own to create a new look. I own Decorvention - a redesign company based in the Philadelphia area. My articles have been published in national and regional publications.

Philadelphia Style, Glamour, Success, Las Vegas Life and Style, Medical Life, Philadelphia Weddings and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

BA in Communications from Temple University and redesign certification from Temple University.

Philadelphia Press Award Marcom Award Writer's Digest Awards

Available upon request.