Decorating & Furniture/painting walls

I am in the process of putting house on the market. I have dark green carpet, and green counter tops, which I did not choose. I have large living room open to dinning room. I wanted to paint a accent wall in living and dinning room to take away from the green. My couch is beige, recliner beige, green, and burgundy. Window coverings also burgundy. What color can I accent living and dinning room wall to take away from the green?

Hi Janice,

The rule of home staging for selling is to keep wall color as neutral as possible. People like when they can move their furniture in with no colors clashing. I would go with a fresh coat of beige a couple shades lighter or darker than your sofa on all the walls. I wouldn't recommend painting an accent wall.

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan Matthews

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews

I'm here to help you create a luxe look by making the most of any room within any budget. I welcome questions about furniture placement, colors, style, accessories and more.

I am a guest host and lifestyle expert for QVC - the premier home shopping network. I'm trained in redesign which entails using what you already own to create a new look. I own Decorvention - a redesign company based in the Philadelphia area. My articles have been published in national and regional publications.

Philadelphia Style, Glamour, Success, Las Vegas Life and Style, Medical Life, Philadelphia Weddings and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

BA in Communications from Temple University and redesign certification from Temple University.

Philadelphia Press Award Marcom Award Writer's Digest Awards

Available upon request.