Decorating & Furniture/sage green & brown for family room

I want to completely re-do my family room and wondered what you think about sage green walls and shades of brown for furniture?  It seems like blue and brown have been very big together but I'm not a fan of blue and LOVE green.  Also, this paint color would need to be carried over into my kitchen which has natural maple cabinets.  Do you feel this could all work well together?  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi Barb,

I do think this could work!  I also love green, and paired with brown it will give you an earthy, cozy feeling in your home.  Keep the palette from falling flat by using various intensities of sage, beige, cream and brown in your furnishings, artwork, toss cushions and accessories. You might also want to try adding in an accent colour like red, apple green, or rusty orange.  Just something for a little pop.

Greens work well with maple cabinetry, as long as you choose a shade that has enough weight next to the golden beige tones of the maple.  Too light or muted could look washed out.  If there's a natural transition point to change colours in the kitchen, try choosing a colour slightly darker and more saturated than whatever you're using in the family room.  Carry your accent colour into the kitchen too, with tea towels, counter-top appliances (like the fab retro mixers you can get in red, orange, green, etc.), and artwork.

Here are some of my favourite greens that you can try: Pratt & Lambert - Moselle, Silver Blond, Whale  C2 - Fossil, Outback  Benjamin Moore - Beach Glass, Killarney

Hope this helps!  Good luck!

Decorating & Furniture

Sarah Kidder

Ask me anything! I'm a formally trained decorator, am passionate about decorating and design and am pretty well rounded in all areas.

I'm a Certified Interior Decorator with a diploma in Interior Decorating from Algonquin College in Ottawa, Ontario. I'm a member in good standing of the Canadian Decorator's Association (CDECA). I've been active in the design industry for about 7 years. I've been working with private clients for the past 5 years while running my own decorating company.

Canadian Decorator's Association (CDECA)

Diploma in Interior Decorating

Currently working on a kitchen reno, a bathroom reno, and a bathroom design...and lots of colour consultations!