Decorating & Furniture/sitting room

could you help me decide a colour and style and accessories for our sitting room. our sofas are black leather and we have light wooden floors and a light wood fireplace. we want to make our room cosy but not cluttered. the room looks very bare as its quit a big room 21 in length by 13. we have bought a new lime green mat but thats the only thing bought. all walls are newly plastered and at the moment pained cream. please help us.....

Hi Dorothy,

Since you have the black and the lime, I would add in one or two more colors. Perhaps a blue in the same intensity of the lime and a warm tan (slightly orange). Incorporate one or more these colors in throw pillows and a throw blanket to soften the leather. Using different types of texture in a room is visually interesting and adds cozy warmth. Vases, wall art and other accessories could incorporate these colors as well. Have at least two other items in the room that are black to tie in with the sofa - a bookcase, side table, etc.) You could have the warm tan on the walls as a neutral backdrop to the brighter colors in the room. Also, if you decide to change your color scheme, the tan will work with many other combinations.

As for style, look at decorating magazines for inspiration. What rooms would you feel comfortable in? What is it about them you like? Look at the furniture, art, accessories, etc. and try to find similar pieces within your price range. Take into account the style of your sofa, as well.

I hope this helps.

Yours for a luxe life,
Susan Matthews

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews

I'm here to help you create a luxe look by making the most of any room within any budget. I welcome questions about furniture placement, colors, style, accessories and more.

I am a guest host and lifestyle expert for QVC - the premier home shopping network. I'm trained in redesign which entails using what you already own to create a new look. I own Decorvention - a redesign company based in the Philadelphia area. My articles have been published in national and regional publications.

Philadelphia Style, Glamour, Success, Las Vegas Life and Style, Medical Life, Philadelphia Weddings and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

BA in Communications from Temple University and redesign certification from Temple University.

Philadelphia Press Award Marcom Award Writer's Digest Awards

Available upon request.