Decorating & Furniture/Mixing Leather Colors

Area Rug
Area Rug  
Hi Sarah.  I recently purchased Ashley Furniture's Allendale Mist leather sofa.  The attached picture is the area rug in front of the sofa.  I plan to purchase a chair and ottoman in the near future.  There is another color in the Allendale collection called "Oyster."  I am not a very "matchy-matchy" type of person, so my question is this...
Given the unique color of the sofa, should I stick with the mist color for the chair and ottoman or mix it up with the oyster color?  I plan to also purchase a chaise or an accent chair in a chocolate brown as well.  Thoughts?

Hi Robert,

I think you're on the right track mixing it up.  It's easy to buy a matching set, but not terribly creative or interesting.  I "googled" your pieces (very nice, by the way!) and I think that choosing oyster for your chair and ottoman is a great idea.  You've got a nice scheme going on - cream, blue and brown are classic!  An accent chair in chocolate will work well, just make sure the styles coordinate (but not necessarily match).

If you're looking for paint colours, a mid-toned neutral beigey-gray would look great (same undertones as the oyster, but deeper...or lighter would work too, for that matter) or a smokey milk chocolate could look nice.  If you want to stay lighter, you could try a pale blue-gray (the gray keeps it from going "baby boy blue").

Since the pieces are in leather and very smooth, you'll want to bring in some texture and pattern with toss cushions, drapes, throws, accessories and art.  Feel free to bring in another accent colour, like an intense teal blue, apple green, rusty red, etc.

Hope that helps!  Good luck!

Decorating & Furniture

Sarah Kidder

Ask me anything! I'm a formally trained decorator, am passionate about decorating and design and am pretty well rounded in all areas.

I'm a Certified Interior Decorator with a diploma in Interior Decorating from Algonquin College in Ottawa, Ontario. I'm a member in good standing of the Canadian Decorator's Association (CDECA). I've been active in the design industry for about 7 years. I've been working with private clients for the past 5 years while running my own decorating company.

Canadian Decorator's Association (CDECA)

Diploma in Interior Decorating

Currently working on a kitchen reno, a bathroom reno, and a bathroom design...and lots of colour consultations!