Decorating & Furniture/Rug color with oyster colored furniture

Question
I recently purchased the martin oyster sofa and love seat from Ashley Furniture.  I haven't received my furniture yet but I have been trying to get my color scheme ready.  I am unsure about what colors I should pair with my furniture.  I am getting an accent chair from Ashley's too that is brown zebra print along with  a black coffee table and two end tables.  In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have ordered everything the same (couch. love seat and all the same tables).  I am afraid it is going to look to matchy-matchy, but it is too late now.  We have hardwood floors and wood trim in our living room.  I don't know if I should do a print rug or all one color.  We have thought about a cream shag rug, but don't know how that will look with the oyster.  I love colors and I am pretty open to any. I am also drawn toward a modern contemporary style but like a little of the traditional as well.  What colors would look good with the oyster sofa and love seat and what kind of rug should I get?  

We are also getting a new dining room set from Ashley's.  It is a counter high square table that is  really dark brown with tan cushions. The dining room is adjacent to the living room so these two rooms have to flow with color and rug style.  

I am more drawn to greens, blues, browns and red.  Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!! Thanks!!

Answer
Hi Amy,

You've made some beautiful furniture choices and those choices will serve you well for years to come.  Adding the brown zebra print in a side chair was a wise move in that it adds some drama to the neutrals of the sofa and love seat.  The Oyster color was an excellent choice as well since it will pair with any accent color(s) now or in the future and will be easily updated with accents as your tastes and/or needs change.  

I think what the two rooms (dining and living) need a bold punch of color.  Since you like red, why not look for a large rug for the living area in a deep, rich red?  That color could also be easily translated into the dining area by the use of linens, or even drapery treatments.  Carrying the punch of color from one room to the next will add continuity and is guaranteed to please.  

You may want to switch things up a bit in the dining room by adding a touch of the brown zebra in accents, table linens or even a rug!  Check stores like Home Goods (a divison of TJ Maxx and Marshalls) or TJ's/Marshalls for a good deal on a rug.  

If you find the zebra print rug, add a pop of the red to tie the two spaces together visually, and add some white accents to both rooms as well.  

Hope this helps you!

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  

Best regards,
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik