Decorating & Furniture/bump down roof

looking in
looking in  
I am looking for a bit of advice on what to do with a tough room. The attached pic shows a room from the hall. The lights, carpet, and paint are an obvious change, and the popcorn ceiling can be removed, the bump down roof though I just have no idea how to hide or minimize- any suggestions? I am pretty handy so can build whatever or drywall whatever.. just stumped on how to approach this.

Quick and dirty mock-up with Paint
Quick and dirty mock-u  
Hi Toby,

I apologize for the delay in my answer - I'm right in the middle of a bathroom reno for a client.

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot you can do with a ceiling like that.  You can paint the face of it the same as the wall, but if it's a dark colour it can look choppy.

You can paint the whole thing (face and underside) the same as the wall (again, as long as it's a fairly light colour so as not to close the room in).  This will trick the eye a little bit into not seeing it, but not an ideal solution.

If you're willing to pay for it, you can probably tear it out...and re-route the pipes/ducts/supports that are most likely in there.  A costly solution, but the most effective.

You could try to use it to your advantage to create a cozy seating area or office space by installing drapery panels (stationary or working) from a rod on the face of the lowered part.  This could create quite a dramatic look and become a focal point, as well as separating the space into areas for different activities.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Decorating & Furniture

Sarah Kidder

Ask me anything! I'm a formally trained decorator, am passionate about decorating and design and am pretty well rounded in all areas.

I'm a Certified Interior Decorator with a diploma in Interior Decorating from Algonquin College in Ottawa, Ontario. I'm a member in good standing of the Canadian Decorator's Association (CDECA). I've been active in the design industry for about 7 years. I've been working with private clients for the past 5 years while running my own decorating company.

Canadian Decorator's Association (CDECA)

Diploma in Interior Decorating

Currently working on a kitchen reno, a bathroom reno, and a bathroom design...and lots of colour consultations!