Decorating & Furniture/living room furniture arrangement

Question
Please help me arrange my living room.  IT is rectangle. Again, picture a shoebox with the short ends on the top and the bottom and the long ends on the sides.  The front door is on the very top of the right long side, there are two windows evenly spaced out on the remaining right side wall. The top of the rectangle has a closet on the right side of the wall and the staircase in the middle.  the left side of the rectangle has a sic foot archway into the dining room on the bottom half of that wall.  the bottom side of the rectangel has a fireplace with builtin bookshelves and a big plasma tv on the wall over the fireplace.  That is the focal point.  I have no idea how to arrange furniture in this room so it will be cozy and inviting.  Please help.

Answer
Molly,

With all that's happening on the walls (doors, windows, etc) I'm hoping you have the depth of space to float furniture in front of your focal point area. If so, place a sofa table behind the sofa so it looks nice from behind. Sectional sofas usually work well in rectangle shaped rooms.

Susan Matthews

Decorating & Furniture

Susan Matthews