Decorating & Furniture/Dining Room Lighting

Table and Chairs
Table and Chairs  
I have a beautiful crystal chandelier I want to put in my dining room with my French Country dining room table and chairs.  The chairs have the "wheat" backs and woven straw seats.  The table has the curved legs of French furniture. The look of the dining room furniture is "casual". Would it be OK to put the chandelier with this dining room suite or would another chandelier look better.  If so, what should I choose?  Thank you. Doris

Hi Doris,

Since you obviously love your chandelier, why not use it?  Any chandelier dresses up a dining space regardless of the style.  My best advice has always been to surround yourself with the things you love - that way you can never go wrong!

The one thing I would urge you to do (based on your photo) is to get the table and chairs away from the wall and center it in the space.  I see that you have a glass door, but the table and chairs should be centered in the space leaving enough room to walk around it.  Then center the chandelier over the table.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
From Day One  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology