Decorating & Furniture/Entryway Furniture

Should your entryway furniture match your living room furniture? They are 2 separate rooms, but you can see into the entryway from the living room...

Hi Jill,

Thank you for your question!

The simple answer is that unless you feel strongly about 'matching' one to the other, "no".  The days of formal matching/matching is (thankfully) gone.  No longer does one style dictate, or one color palette dictate.  We are now in the world of 'if you love it, it works' design!

More professionally said, your furniture should 'coordinate' rather than match, UNLESS you want it to all match.  If there is a flow from room to room, that's good design.  The wood tones can be different, the style can be different - it's all a matter of taste.

Here's hoping this makes your decision easier!

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
From Day One  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology