Decorating & Furniture/Paint color and bacsplash for my kitchen

Question
Hello. I am redoing my kitchen and would like some input on paint color, accents and backsplash colors. My style would be similar to Pottery Barn style. My living area and kitchen are adjoined and the colors of my living area are yellow/gold walls with red curtains and red and dark brown accents. The cabinets and trim are a golden oak, medium in tone. We have put brushed nickel hardware on them. The new countertops will be Ubatuba Granite and the flooring is a very neutral light tan/khaki tile. I have chosen a medium gray paint and was thinking of using a glass tile backsplash similar to Rainforest Blend by Daltile. First, is my paint color okay with the cabinets, we have started painting and I am a little unsure. Also, do you have recommendations on a nice glass tile for a backsplash or a website to view ideas for backsplashes? Lastly, what accent colors would be good with these colors? I was thinking red and yellow/gold. Thank you for your help!

Answer
Hi Melinda,

Thanks for your questions.  Let me start by saying that since your living area and kitchen adjoin one another, it is important to coordinate the colors between the two spaces.  

I'm a bit concerned with the gray paint color since you are pairing it with oak cabinets which tend to run toward yellow.  You may want to use the same yellow/gold paint from the living area for the kitchen, leaving the backsplash and countertop to disseminate the color differences.  While I am not familiar with Rainforest Blend, I would suggest pulling the cabinet color, the floor color and a touch of red into the glass tile.  Also, consider setting it on the horizontal rather than vertical for a widening effect.  It's an optical illusion, but does create more visual space in the kitchen.

Visit your local home improvement stores for their stock as well as specialty tiles.  There are wonderful choices out there, and the elongated glass tiles are very smart.

Hope this helps you.  

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
From Day One
www.amazon.com  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik