Decorating & Furniture/HELP!

I recently moved in to my home.  We were rushed for time and just threw paint on my cabinets without researching.  I'm now wanting to repaint bathrooms and the cabinets are WHITE!  The white paint is chipped in one bathroom and the other it just looks horrible.  
In one of the bathrooms, I'd love to keep the white.  In another bathroom, I'd prefer a pretty wood color.  Any suggestions?  Can I fix this problem?  HELP!

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  

The chipped paint can be fixed by a light sanding (to get off the chips and imperfections) followed by a cleaning with a dry cloth, primer and paint.  

Use this method whether you want to change cabinet colors or not.  For a wood tone, sand the existing paint down to the wood surface, wipe clean and then stain.  It will take some elbow grease, but the result will be worth it.  

Lastly, remember to always let the paint "cure" (dry completely) between coats.  Using several lightly applied coats gives better results.  Putting on too much paint (too thick) results in runs, chips and spills.

While there isn't  lot of "fun" in painting, the one reward is that if you do it correctly it will be beautiful in the end and you won't have to do it again for years!!!!

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology