Decorating & Furniture/kitchen window treatment

I have an 8ft wide kitchen window - a large middle one with q smaller one on each side. My dining set is in front of it. I had a valance & a pleated shade on it but want to change the valance. I do not want to cover the window & may not put the shade back up as I really don't need it. Should i buy several valances to make up the 96". I really don't want to go custom made as I did before.Thanks for your advice

Hi Pat,

Thanks for writing me at All Experts.  

Since you've done the custom route, yes, you absolutely can create your own valance to cover the 96".  One suggestion I might make is that you treat the window (for the valance) as a set of 3, rather than one.  It may be easier or more economical to do that.  Treating the expanse as one will visually increase the width of the window, but because it is so large, you may prefer trying my suggestion.

Either way you go, try to stay away from ruffles (they often look cheesy) and hang the valance as high as possible to visually lengthen the wide window.

If privacy isn't an issue, you don't need the shade.  

If you want to change things up entirely, and provide light control, consider shutters!

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology