Decorating & Furniture/Living Room Help

Question
Living Room
Living Room  
Hi Jennifer,
I recently moved into a city apartment (pretty spacious. I'm close to finishing up decorating my living room. I have a light blue (seafoam) 80" sofa with expresso trimming and a 50" bench (instead of a love seat) for extra seating to save space. I also have a floral chair with blues/orange/brown colors and a creme base.

My question is: I'm having a hard time determining what color and style of rug will go with these colors. Creme? Light brown?
I also wanted to put a small glass coffee table but with the low bench will that look odd since both will be around the same height? Right now there is about 7.5 ft between the couch and tv. I don't want too large of a coffee table that the space gets cramped.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a picture.

Answer
Hi Sasha,

Thanks for selecting me to answer your questions.

I'm impressed with your sense of style and scale.  I might suggest though that you try using your bench seating as your coffee table, and switching the floral chair to be angled toward the television - about the same angle as you have it but on the wall where the bench is now.  That would do three things:  eliminate the need for another table, give a little more breathing room to the table and chairs, and save you more money for the rug of your dreams.

As for a rug, I'd opt for an oval shape since everything else is either square or rectangular and I'd search for a swirl pattern (again move movement and motion) incorporating your sofa's primary color (appears blue in the photo) and picking up both the yellow and brown.  Check out one of my favorite resources - www.homedecorators.com.  They have excellent prices, selections and sizes of rugs.  

Hope this helps you!  Thanks for the photo; it truly helps.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
www.amazon.com  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik