Decorating & Furniture/Lounge-room decor

Question
I have bought an apartment with purple (maroon)carpet in good condition.  I have a pastel-green lounge suite and I think these colours will work (even though the pairing may not be common).  The walls are currently neutral.  What colour should the walls (or the long feature wall) be?  What other colours complement purple and green?  What other things should I be aware of?  Thank you.

Answer
Fergus,

The carpet and lounge suite will indeed work together since green and red (and both maroon and purple are shades of red) are opposites on the color wheel.  Because they are opposites, they play off each other and provide just the right amount of contrast to be interesting.  Consider adding darker shades of green to the mix - an accent wall in a not-so-pastel shade would be lovely.  Also adding in tones of beige (darker AND lighter) will also complement your decor.

In your particular instance adding white accents will be refreshing and welcoming, but make sure that at least one component in the space is black.  That could be a coffee table, a grouping of picture frames, etc., but black will ground the space.

Thanks for writing - I appreciate your interest!

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
From Day One
www.amazon.com/books

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik