Decorating & Furniture/cherry birch cabinets

Question
I am putting in cherry birch cabinets in my kitchen. I am building in a china cabinet and would like to use a different color stain on the cabinet. What color stain should I use? I have an open concept kitchen and living room. I am building in an entertainment center. Should I use the two colors of wood for the entertainment center? The floor will be dark wood. What color floor do you suggest?

Answer
Jocelyn,

Cherry birch cabinets sound lovely for your kitchen.  It's perfectly fine to use differing stain colors within an open concept space.  I would keep the wood tones to a minimum, and would suggest that since you have opted for a dark wood floor, select one of the previous wood tones to use for the entertainment center.  If you haven't selected a wood floor shade, do that first and then decide on the wood for the entertainment center. I would not try to incorporate more than 3 wood tones; I'd opt for only a couple.

Wood color is a matter of 'taste' and choice.  I prefer a darker floor to a medium to light shade, but you may not.  My favorite is an alderwood which tends to look a lot like dark cherry.

Thanks for writing and for your question.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
From Day One
www.amazon.com

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik