Decorating & Furniture/kitchen ideas

Hi, I have a large kitchen 19x20.  I refinished the cabinets last year to a red mahogany and the floors are red mahogany.  The granite has a light neutral background with gold, a very dark brown which is almost (if not, black) and a small of amount of orangy gold.  The walls are a warm tan that matches the granite beautifully.  My kitchen seems a little too dark, and needs a color boost.  I had poinsettias in the kitchen at Christmas time, and that color really made the kitchen pop.  My table and chairs by the way, have black legs and arms with a mahogany table top and chair seats.  What color would you suggest as an accent color, and how can I incorporate an accent color into the color scheme?  I forgot to mention, I do not like the color orange.  Yuk!  My other problem is --- I have a small window above the kitchen sink, a window on the other side of the island, and french doors leading to the patio.  (only one door on the french doors open.  I need some ideas for window treatments.  I really am leaning toward a valance above the sink with some sort of shade.  From there I am lost.  I would like curtains I THINK incorporated into the other 2 windows.  I am not too big on the curtains being all one color, but I don't want anything bold either.  I also have white moldings.  Hope you can help.  Thanks much.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your questions.  

A pop of color is just what your large kitchen needs.  Since the poinsettia did the trick, why not use that vibrant shade of red again?  By using that one color, and spreading that color around the area, you can achieve the lift you need.  An arrangement (all one color) for the dining table carries it there, a red platter or trivet propped on a stand in the kitchen, and a single bud near the kitchen window gets the job done.

As for window treatments, I'd opt for shades in the kitchen since valences really date a space.  Those done in the same warm tan as your backsplash would be beautiful. Use the same shade of fabric for the french doors (consider a tension rod and sheers or a Roman Shade) and the other windows.

Hope this helps you!  
Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
From Day One

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology