Decorating & Furniture/wall color vs carpet

Installed LIGHT/white carpet which was a BIG MISTAKE.  Each time I have had the carpet cleaned it looks dirtier than BEFORE I had it cleaned.  I went with the light/neutral carpet color to compliment the wall COLORS (wanted to get away from white walls). Failed on both fronts.  Specifically decided on THREE different hues for the dining room (peach), living room (lt green) and family room (orange). The dining area is actually a piano room (11ft x 12ft). The living room furniture is black with black table accents (12ft x 18ft).  The family room furniture is off white with brown wood table accents (16ft x 19ft). Any suggestions for a darker neutral color that would work with all three areas? Preferably a neutral color that will accent/blend and NOT clash with the wall color in each room? I do not have wood floors.

thank you

Maurcia -

Here's a soft taupe that will work with your existing color scheme; Toasty Grey by Glidden.  It is a blend of grey and brown and has a way of blending in to virtually any space.  Best of luck with your painting!

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
From Day One

PS:  This color may visually "brighten" the carpet color.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology