Decorating & Furniture/Sofas color to match rugs

Question
Living room
Living room  
Dear Jennifer: I want to change the fabric/color of my 2 sofas in my living room. I have 2 flowery shiraz rugs (mainly red,and beige)and dark red/beige curtains, that I don't want to change. Please advise on the colors/patterns/fabrics to choose for my 2 sofas. Also, do you think I should use carpet #1 or #2 for my living room? Very grateful for your answer.
Marie

Answer
Hi Marie,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  The photos are helpful as well.

Changing your sofa color may prove to be expensive if you reupholster them, and since the back pillows appear to be loose, simple slipcovers won't work so well.  As for the color/pattern/fabric, I'd have to recommend a solid; here's why.  When we put pattern on our sofas or large furniture pieces, they tend to take over the space.  Some pattern is fine, i.e., a pin stripe or a tiny weave or fleck of another color, but large patterns or flowers or stripes are passe.  A solid color will enhance the carpet (answer about that follows as well) and won't compete for attention.  I would suggest a beige or the red from your shiraz rugs, and I'd further suggest a solid color for both pieces.  My fabric recommendation would be a long wearing, easy to clean microfiber.

As for the carpet # 1 or # 2, my preference is what's in the living room now - I guess that's number one!  It's not as busy as the second and will give you more flexibility should your tastes change over time.

Best regards,
Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
From Day One
www.amazon.com
www.jennifertaylorwojcik.com

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik