Decorating & Furniture/Livingroom Design question.

Great Room Floorplan
Great Room Floorplan  
Hi Vancha, I have a design question that I have been stressing over for MONTHS now.. And I am running out of time !

I purchased a house that is not yet built, and I am a couple months away from choosing the interior details. My problem is the living room, it's awkward, and smaller than I would like. I have to choose where I want my electrical outlets and cable hook-ups Etc.. So I need to plan my furniture layout, the problem is that there are 3 walls, one half wall, one wall with windows, and then one small wall that is empty (open to kitchen on 4th side).  I have already purchased a chaise/couch (so a small L shaped couch) and I am installing a fireplace that will need to be on an exterior wall. So I need to place my couch, fireplace, and tv, anything extra is just a BONUS ! .....    I have NO idea WHAT TO DO !!

Please help !!..

I have attached a picture of the floor plan so you can see the room (The fireplace is moveable, the south wall is a half wall)

Thanks a lot for your help !

Dear Amanda,

I would suggest you to knock down the wall between the dinning room and the great room. If there is a supporting beam there, you might leave just about the necessary part of it and use it as a decoartive pillar. The L shaped sofa you have purcheced, you shall place where the wall was, depending whether it has left or a right wing. The sofa should be facing North, i.e. with its back to the dining room, and behind it you place a console table. Of course in the dining room a dinning table with chairs should be place, whilst in the great room you might have a coffee table on front of the sofa with two stools on the side. Please do use different texture with the same color shade! The fire place should go between the two windows on the North wall and the TV above it! Such situation will allow them to be seen all round.
In the breakfast room if the spaces allows, create an island with chairs around it and lighting above it. Do not forget the curtains and the rugs as they are irreplaceable mood makers!

Amanda, if you have any farther questions, do feel free to ask!

Good luck with this pleasurable and incredible exciting pursuit - home design !

Vancha Baylova

Decorating & Furniture

Vancha Baylova

Space planing, relationship between patterns, forms and colors in the interior space. Interior space, architectural style and furniture compatibility.

Sixteen years of experience in the interior design field.

Tyionfordesign International

Interior decorating diploma.

Bar restaurant "Avangard" - Chicago,IL; Piano bar " Face to Face" - Sofia, BG, Priavte estates, show homes