Decorating & Furniture/basement interior design with cement

Question
Hello, I am an 18 year old girl that is starting college in a month. I'm living at home while I go to school and in 2 months we are moving to a new house. My room is spacious, but in the basement. Therefore it has cement everywhere. I don't have a lot of money, but since I'm an adult with a touch of kid I want a classy/trendy space to come home to after a long day at college. What can I do that's cheap to liven up my cement walls and floors? I want it to be a trendy color that I like(creamy colors, stylish to go with anything, something sophisticated) but it also has to be a color my mom likes for whenever I move out. And is there any quick fix to cement floors? Help!! Thanks!

Answer
Janna,

Thanks for selecting me at All Experts!

Here's a terrific color that you (and your mom) will like:  Toasty Grey from Glidden.  It's a taupe color - a great neutral, and it goes so well with every other color.  It's especially great with lacquered pieces in black, white or chocolate brown.  It's relaxing, warm yet hip at the same time.  

As for cement all around, don't worry about it.  Paint covers everything, and if your mom doesn't mind, you could paint the floor as well as the walls.  If you opt to do that, use a solid brown or dark shade which will give the room some dimension and contrast.  If painting the floor isn't an option, consider a room sized rug.  They're available at all price points and some of the big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot have great selections for not a lot of money.  

Rugs are great options; they can set the tone for a room and will add some warmth to the floor as well.

Hope this gives you some ideas.  

Best regards,
Jennifer

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik