Decorating & Furniture/furniture matching with rug

Hi Jennifer,

i plan to purchase the charcoal photon rug from

I am in need of a sofa sectional but can't decide on color.

The walls are white; i have a white coffee table and white entertainment stand; my natural instinct is to go all white but i am not too fond of going white on the sofa from a maintenance perspective; given the ultra modern style i am trying to shoot for, what would you suggest i pick color wise on the sofa and what fabric would you suggest?

I also can't decide on going with suede or velvet or cotton twill; not sure which gives the proper fit in terms of style, class, and look that fits with a ultra modern setting.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for choosing me as your All Experts expert!

You have a great question.  For an ultra modern setting, opt for either a charcoal grey or dove grey solid color sofa.  For ease of cleaning and great longevity of wear, I'd opt for a suede.  The new microfibers are beautiful and wear extremely well.  

By the way - I love the rug as well.  It's nubby texture will be great paired with the suede sofa.

Going all white would bee an option for you, but too much white becomes a bit too sterile even for the most modern setting.  If you'll notice, most all white rooms have silver, stainless or chrome added to them as well as mirrors and glass to add sparkle.

Thanks for writing.  Hope this helps you in your decision making.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
From Day One

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology