Decorating & Furniture/brighten a room with dark color furnishin

I have a lot of old antique furniture with rich dark browns. I recently purchased a off-white leather sofa to give the room a little bit of a mix and purchase TV console in and espresso finish.

I pick a color to go on my walls that I thought would come out much lighter however when the paint dried it look more like a mocha color giving the room a much more closed in feeling to me. I like the color just wish it was lighter. I tend to play it safe by pick neutral colors is that the best way to go?

Thanks for writing me at All Experts.

You're absolutely correct in thinking that neutral is best.  You probably just selected the wrong "hue" (shade) value for the walls.  Here's a great color - I've literally shared it with the world and haven't gotten so much as ONE negative reaction - "Toasty Grey" by Glidden.  It's a beautiful neutral and dries as a true taupe.  By combining the grey shade with a touch of brown, it's a clear winner and I think you will love it.  

Glidden has an online site ( where you can view the color; Home Depot and Glidden paint stores carry the brand.

Best of luck!
Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology