Decorating & Furniture/color scheme

sage-green upholstry
sage-green upholstry  
Hi Jennifer:
We have a three-cushion, over-stuffed sofa and matching loveseat with sage-green/tone on tone, grape leaf pattern upholstry in our living room and my wife is having fits trying to find the just right colors in pillows, area rugs, pictures/ do-dads, etc. to make an elegant presentation. Can you suggest some colors that would go well with the sage-green, or do we have to start over with a less challenging color?

Hi Joe,

Thanks for selecting me at All Experts.  Start over - no way.  Here are some suggestions.  Sage green is a pale version of pure green (with some yellow and black mixed in).  The color opposite of green is red, so the perfect combination with the sage green is a pale version of red.  That includes shades like pink, violet, pale plum, etc.  Using a slightly stronger shade of the color opposite will coordinate beautifully.  If you like violets or purples, that's your best option.  Then by adding some accessories in darker greens (like the stems of flowers) purples and the off-white from your sofa, you're totally coordinated and will have an elegant look.

Accessories can include toss pillows, statuettes, lamp shades, rugs etc.  And tell your wife that if she finds a rug that combines all three colors (sage,purple/lilac and white) she's onto an even more developed space.

Hope this helps.  Thanks for the question.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology