Decorating & Furniture/living room paint colors

Question
My husband and I live in a beautiful 1930's home with light oak hard wood flooring threw out. The room has lots of nautural light and the furniture is different shades of neutrals including brown, green, gold, mauve. I am at a loss for paint color. I have painted this room 3 times....I want something a little darker since there is so much natural light the room is very bright. Any ideas?

Answer
Hi Kayla,

Thanks for choosing me at AllExperts to answer your question.  

If you've read some of my past answers about wall color, you'll see that I typically recommend a beautiful warm neutral called Toasty Grey.  It's a wonderful, classy shade of taupe and it acts as a wonderful backdrop in virtually any room.  It's made by Glidden; available at Home Depot as well as Glidden stores and is what I refer to as a one coat wonder.  

When you use this color, contrast it with a bright white trim (moldings, chair rails if you have them, window sills etc.) for the most beautiful effect.  

It will pair well with your oak flooring and will allow the rooms furnishings and details to shine through.  Remember too, the paint darkens as it dries.  I think you'll be very pleased.  

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
www.amazon.com

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik