Decorating & Furniture/becoming a designer

Question
Hi Jennifer

I'm artistic and love playing around with colors and designs, love making a space more livable and just being as creative as I can, and I want to get my feet wet in the interior design business.

I've heard that the best way to do it is to first work for an experienced interior designer, then eventually branch out and start your own office.

My question is, why would anyone be willing to help train me? Since my long term goal would be to open my own business, wouldn't that be detrimental to them in the long term when they have someone to compete with?

Thanks,
Dave

Answer
Busy designers need "decorators" to assist.  If you put a portfolio together - photos of rooms you have decorated and that you are proud of - you give the designer an idea of your creativity and talent.

Remember - designers are scholastically trained and do space planning as well as room finishes, whereas decorators are not architecturally trained and decorate as opposed to design a room.  

Check out your local ASID designers and see if they need help.  Being a "gofer" for a good designer will not only allow you to exercise your talent, it will teach you a wealth of information that you would not otherwise have.

The reason they'd want your help?  Time.  And time is money.

Best of luck to you.
Jennifer

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
www.amaon.com

PS:  Another avenue to pursue?  Home staging.  If you can afford a few "props", approach a realtor about staging one of their properties that is on the market.  Staged homes sell before empty ones, but there is an initial investment on your part to either "rent" or own furnishings that you use.

Regardless, you can base that cost into your staging fee.

JTW

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik