Decorating & Furniture/coordinate chairs with dining room table

Question
We have a big antique oak dining room table with big decorative claw feet & a center claw stand with 4 leafs.  Its square without leafs.  We have no chairs.

We live a block from the beach in Florida and are completely remodeling our house.  It will be one long room, the dining room to the living room, with a kitchen at the end of the dining room.  We are getting multicolored brown & cream stone tile throughout. My style is really pretty eclectic, casual but elegant.  We will probably get leather & fabric combination living room furniture in neutral colors and accent with color with neutral walls.

I'm looking for suggestions on what type of chairs to put with the table. My husband will refinish the table in probably a darker finish, because I don't really care for oak.

Thank you so much for any help you can give us!

Answer
Hi Patti,

Thanks for writing me with your question.  It's a good one.  

Because it's Florida, and there's a casual lifestyle here (for the most part#, I'd offer this suggestion: think comfort in selecting your dining table chairs, particularly in an open concept area.  

You don't have to stick to a particular style of chair, but put the emphasis on easy care and comfort.  You may want a high back leather chair, or a wooden ladder back #or a mission style) with chair pads.  The one thing I've learned is that people want comfort when sitting down to a meal, and hard, uncomfortable chairs don't make one want to linger at the table.

If you have lots of kids there - or coming to visit - consider a long bench that can be pulled up.

I guess what I'm seeing is a mix of wood and leather, much like the furnishings you have in the adjoining rooms.  It's easy care, and cool in all seasons.

Jennifer

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
www.amazon.com

PS:  I like your eccletic style.  It will serve you well in Florida!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik