Decorating & Furniture/living room advice

my husband would like reclinable sofas in the living  room....i am not a big fan .... how can we make a living room look nice with reclinablevsofas and other accents... should we mix fabrics and leather? my living room has a beige carpet and the walls are a light brown... we have two big windows so far only with white blinds and three big walls.. a firpkace in the middle that has  kind og green marble... i would love to hear suggestions, pictures, sketches from you!!!!! thank you

Hi Claudia,

Thanks for writing me.  While I don't do sketches, I can give you some things to consider.  

I'm not a big fan of recliners period, but let's face it, men LOVE them because they're usually big, soft and comfortable.  What else could you want?  Something that looks good too.  I think there's room for compromise here and one of the great things that furniture manufacturers are doing now is designing the recliner to look less like a boat and more like a good piece of furniture.  

Leather reclining sofas are great.  They wear well and look less "lazy boy" and more upscale.  Mixing leather with fabric is indeed a good idea.  I personally  don't go for "matchy" when it comes to furniture, but I am a big proponent of color coordination.  

The hot new color is chocolate brown - which would coordinate nicely in your room.  Adding a couple of side chairs in a patterned fabric #bold like animal print? or more feminine like a floral? or even better a lovely stripe# would work here.  

Keeping the side chairs on a neutral background, i.e., a taupe; gives you great flexibility with accent fabrics and colors and may be your best option.  

Keeping everything neutral #big ticket items like furniture# allows you to change your accessory colors #inexpensive by comparison# and completely change the look of a room.  Things like throws, pillows and rugs make a huge impact.

Hope this gives you food for thought.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology