Decorating & Furniture/Need an accent color

Question
We are completely redoing our living room. We have put down bamboo wood flooring that is a golden honey color (perhaps a shade lighter) and have bout a geomentric area rug comprised of light gray, nedium grey, ecru, and a medium and dark slate grey (like a dark grey with a drop of blue to it).

The walls we have painted gray but again it has a drop of blue, really not much, just keeps it from being battleship grey.

The new couch is ecru and the tables are glass topped with and under design of pewter and surrounded by black.

All the wall pictures will be black and white photos with black frames.

It is very dramatic and very pretty but almost looks monochromatic even though there are a lot of different hues of blue/grey.

So I rally have 2 questions. First, we have icky mini blinds that myhusband refuses to part with. What do I do with the windows with  those on there?

And I need an accent color..something for pillows and nick nacks that will help the room pop but nothing crazy like yellow.

Thanks so much for your help!

Diane

Answer
Thanks for writing me with your question.  It sounds as though you like clean lines and a more contemporary style, so I understand your dilemma about the mini-blinds.  Will he at least consider faux wood blinds?  They would be terrific in the space.  If not, then consider building (or have built) cornice boxes to "top" the windows.  The cornice would "disguise" the mini's and take your eye away from them.  Tailored draperies would work as well and either the cornice or drape should pull out the grey/blue tone in the room.  

As for a pop of color, red including cranberry reds, or the newer shade that is almost orange would add the pop you're looking for.  I hate to say this, but yellow tones would do the same thing.  I don't think of yellow as crazy and I honestly recommend that every room needs a touch of it.  Adding a crisp white would help too.

Hope this helps you,
Jennifer

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
www.amazon.com

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik