Decorating & Furniture/Red carpet in bedroom?

Question
Jennifer,

I've been intending to redecorate my bedroom for quite a while now but never got around to it. The biggest problem with the room right now is the flooring, it's the same carpet that was there when we bought the house and to top that off when our dog was a puppy he dug at it and tore several places right in the center of the room where they can't be easily hidden.

The other day I was buying a new area rug for the living room and the carpet store is having a huge sale on carpeting but only in blue, green, or red. I'd like to take advantage of it because it's actually pretty decent carpeting and I won't get this price again anytime soon. But the colors are kind of a dilemma.

The current carpeting is blue and I'd like to get away from that, this particular green they're selling isn't a pretty shade of green, and so I'm leaning towards the red... maybe?

My husband and I are pretty handy, DIY type people, so any necessary work isn't going to be a problem. But what do I do with the rest of the room?

The room is about 15x20', the dressers are oak but they're older so I wouldn't have a problem painting them. The carpet I'm looking at is close to a cranberry red.

What colors would you go with the for the walls, bedding, and curtains? Right now the rest of the room is done in a light blue with chocolate trim so I'll need new colors for everything if I go with red on the floor.

I don't want anything too feminine, since it's my husband's room too. The only idea I came up with for red is like a romantic theme but everything I think of seems tacky. We don't spend a lot of time in the room, it's just a bedroom with no other functions, we don't have trouble sleeping so it doesn't need to be particularly relaxing. As far as design preferences I'm not really picky, I just want it to end up looking nice.

Any ideas you might have would be a great help. Thanks so much.

Answer
Hi Ashley,

Thanks for writing me with your question.

An area or room sized rug atop the hard worn carpeting would be an economical way to resolve your dilemma, but replacing the carpeting with either new carpet or a wood laminate would be preferable.  

Remember this before you decide.  Virtually every carpet retailer have "remnants" which could be large enough to fit your bedroom, OR could be bound on the edges to act as a room sized "rug".  This is a great way to have more choices in color, texture, style etc.  Laminate flooring only requires an underlay which acts as a moisture barrier.  Many styles are snap and lock design and if you are diy people, you may be able to lay it yourself.  The labor for installing these floors is OFTEN included in the purchase price, so check that out as well.

If after all this you opt to go with the cranberry red carpeting, paint the walls a smokey pale grey, use all white bedding and add grey, yellow and cranberry accent pillows. This paired with a darker grey window treatment will be very smart and beautiful.

Good luck with your decisions.  Research first results in the best overall success every single time!

Jennifer

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
www.amazon.com

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik