Decorating & Furniture/Round oak antique table

Question
I have a round oak antique table that has two leaves. I leave it extended out all the time sitting on a tan area rug. We just remodeled our house (because we were flooded out last spring). We put dark hardwood floors throughout the house. The kitchen cupboards are antique white. I had oak chairs with a woven seat, but would like something more comfortable. Would it look ok to put microfiber chairs or leather chairs with the table? My favorite color is red. We have an island in the kitchen that is close to the table, and that has highback dark brown leather chairs.

Answer
Hi Rhonda,

Thanks for writing me.  I am terribly sorry to hear about the flooding you suffered last spring.  It's a terrible natural disaster.  

In response to your question, it is perfectly fine to mix fabric or leather chairs with the large oak antique table, and as a matter of fact, it is the perfect "juxtiposition" of new and old.  

As for color, you could certainly use red, particularly in a dining room where red "encourages" eating activity, but can also be a very intimate color.  Having a cushioned seat for dinner guests is always at the top of my must have list as well.

You can use the brown leather, which would tie in the kitchen chairs, but I think a pop of color would be the best choice.  You could even add a touch or two of the same red in the kitchen area to visually tie the two spaces together.

Hope this helps you!
Jennifer

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
www.amazon.com  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik