Decorating & Furniture/suggestions for decorating fireplace mantel

Question
Our fireplace which is gas and seldom used because it it gives off little heat and the flame is low, is located in the corner of an high ceiling family room. the fireplace mantel is wood and painted white. It is about 68" long and 19" deep. The wall above the mantel is 30" wide and the color of the wall is peach.
Please give em some ideas on how to decorate the mantel. It looks barren now with just a plate and some books on it.
Many thanks, Carl

Answer
Carl,

Thanks for writing me with your question.  

It sounds as though the problem with the items that are currently on the fireplace are not in scale with the size of the hearth and the volume of the ceiling height.  I'd recommend a couple of things.  Either consider placing a large (tall not wide# art object above the fireplace, i.e., a large sculpture of wood or metal or a large piece of art.  You may want to have a flat screen television mounted above the fireplace instead.  If so, have a professional install it for security.

If you don't want to place something on the wall, then top the mantle with taller objects such as candle sticks, vases with tall pieces in them or even these in addition to your plate.  You could even lay the books flat #with the bound side outwards) and add candlesticks atop them for additional vertical height.

You will find that the eye appreciates the added height and you'll be much happier with the space.

Jennifer

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
www.amazon.com

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik