Decorating & Furniture/wall colors

Question
I have a long narrow living room.  Our funiture is dark chocolate and our carpet is med. gray.  Do I paint all the walls
one color or do I do an accent wall.

Answer
Hi Beth,

Thanks for writing me with your question.

In a long narrow room it is often tempting to paint an end wall as an accent, but unfortunately that just elongates the look even more.  If you want an accent wall, I'd opt for a side wall that is opposite the windows.  And, I'd recommend that you stay within the same color family going a couple or three shades darker on the accent wall.  

For instance, with your chocolate brown furniture and your grey carpeting, you could stay neutral by painting the walls a similar shade of grey - coordinating it with the carpet, and then use a darker shade for an accent wall.  

If you don't want to paint an accent wall, and you certainly don't have to, consider using Glidden's Toasty Grey paint which is a cross between a taupe and a grey.  It's beautiful as a background color and would actually pull the two colors together.  That allows you to add splashes of color as accents, without the labor and expense of two paint colors.  The furniture and wall color would look great with reds, turquoise blue, aquamarine blue, vibrant greens or bright yellows.  Adding white to the mix is necessary too.

One trick you may use is to position your couch at a right angle, breaking off the long narrow look of the room.  If you can do that, then just decorate the back of the sofa with a console table and a flower arrangement.

Food for thought!

Jennifer

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
www.amazon.com

PS:  Glidden is sold at Home Depot and Glidden Paint Stores

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik