Decorating & Furniture/bright red comforter

I have a bright red comforter on my bed.  There is no style. I'm pretty conservative but this will be a babies room when my son comes to visit & they will also sleep there.  I'm looking for something that won't be boring but also cheery.  I need to put a blackout on the window because the blinds just don't get it dark enough & I'm not sure what color to use on the window. The blinds are white.  The room is about 10 x 12 & has one inset where a dressing table sits.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for writing me with your question.  

Let's tackle the window first.  If you want a blackout for it, purchase blackout draperies, and in this case I would use white to mimic the blinds and create a bit more visual space. If you don't want white, then I'd recommend grey.  I'd also add grey to the bedroom which will feel more tailored and will coordinate beautifully with the red comforter.  

Using grey, red and white, you have created a space that will not only accommodate your son and babies, but also it will serve as a beautiful guest room for anyone who visits.

Add a touch of pale yellow to the mix (maybe a throw or a toss pillow) and you're in business for any guest.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology