Decorating & Furniture/carpet colour

I am purchasing a new sofa/chair in gold and charcoal wide stripes. What carpet colour would make a contrast to this furniture. I dont really want to match the sofa/chair with the carpet. There are plenty of beige family carpets and this may make the room too much the same. Thank you.

Hi John,

Thanks for your question.  If you want high contrast that will also "coordinate" but not match the chair, choose your favorite shade of red.  I would stay away from the oranges and lean more toward the claret or raspberry shades.  

Greys, yellows/golds and reds are a beautiful and striking combination.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
From Day One
Available at  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology