Decorating & Furniture/Matching oak trim with furniture

Throughout our house we have light to medium stained oak trim around the windows/fireplace/baseboards/etc. We just painted the living room a bluish color with some light grey/brown accents. We were looking into getting new furniture but want to know what to buy. Does our coffee table/end tables/TV stand all have to be oak to match the trim and fireplace or what other kinds of wood could be match with it? Also, what color furniture would you go with? Thanks!

Thanks for writing me with your question.

While trims that are built in, i.e., window casings, door frames and baseboards are either stained or painted and should be consistent throughout the home, they do NOT dictate color for furnishings, nor should they.

My best advice is to get away from the oak and select instead furnishings that are pleasing to you.  You can use virtually any wood tone with another wood tone, dark to light, painted versus stained with any piece of furniture with great success.

As for furniture here's my #1 piece of advice:  keep your large and expensive furniture pieces in a neutral solid tone.  You can add accessory pieces in vivid stripes, flowers, paisleys or a combination of all of that.  When you keep those expensive pieces in neutral tones (dark or light doesn't matter) you afford yourself the opportunity to bring in drama and pattern with draperies, rugs, pillows, throws etc.  Then if and when your tastes change, it will not be an expensive proposition to change your accessories.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology