Decorating & Furniture/Arranging room

Question
I recently purchased a home and I'm cuurently furnishing my living room area. I've tried different variation, but I feel most comfortable with where my sectional sofa is at right now.

The back of the sectional is facing the front door. I wanted to know if thats a big interior design "no-no" and if its not what can I do with that space between the front door and couch?

I've a attached a poor illustration of my living room. Hopefully you'll be able to use the illustration to understand better. I hope you can help. Thanks :)

Answer
Ileene,

Thanks for selecting me to respond to your question.

The arrangement you describe sounds fine to me.  It's definitely not a "no no" when it comes to furniture placement, and is infinitely better than rooms where the sofa is pushed up against the walls!

To soften the look, try adding a console height sofa table behind the couch.  On it you can put a flower arrangement, greenery, or something as simple as a couple of books and a decorative candle.  

Thanks again.  Best of luck on finishing your decorating!

Jennifer

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
available at www.amazon.com  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik