Decorating & Furniture/color matching

what are the best colors of granite counter tops to be used to match teak cupboards?

Thanks for writing me with your question about matching teak cupboards with granite countertops.  

First, let me say that teak is an excellent choice.  It will never go out of style and is a beautiful, warm wood tone.  Having said that, there are many directions you could take in choosing a countertop.  Here are some suggestions based on the overall look you may be going for.  

If you want a dark overall look; one that is very rich and luxurious in appearance, consider one of these three granites:  Walker Gold (pulls the golden tones out of the teak), Mystic Brown (more monochromatic) or Mocha Reel (which is similar to the color of coffee with a wee bit of cream in it.)  

If you prefer more contrast between the countertop and the cabinets but still want a "matched" appearance, consider Karra Oro, Veneto or King Ivory. These choices are lighter than the previous three but will coordinate beautifully with the teak.  

Here's just one recommendation for you - let the teak wood be the showpiece in the room - its natural beauty has earned the right. By that I mean, keep your granite "condensed" in color tones rather than those with wide swaths of color and texture.  I think you will be happier in the end and if you ever want to resell your home, it will pay you big dividends.  

Thanks for writing.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
available from  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology