Decorating & Furniture/Roof and Exterior Colors

Getting ready to shingle the roof. I plan on using 30 year Architectural Shingles. I think due to the reddish bricks, I need something in the brown with a little red family. I live in Northern Florida, but want to use the colors that will look the best over energy concerns.   Any suggestion on which shingle brand and color might look best with the bricks and siding.  I can change exterior colors, except for the brick (do not want to paint the brick).

Also any suggestion on exterior colors appreciated.¤t=img_5049.jpg

Hello Robert,

Thank you for your question.

I am most familiar with a company that uses "Landmark" Brand Architectural Shingles, so my color recommendations come from their line.  

To add an overall cohesive look to your home, I would opt for one of these four colors (in order of my preference for your consideration:)  1.  Resawn Shake (red undertones paired with browns and beiges); 2.  Sunset Shake (a bit more red in this one); 3.  Chestnut (equally red and brown); and Sunrise Cedar (incorporating all 3 tones/shades).

Hope this helps you.  

I know there are sites on the web that offer a free upload of your photograph where you can literally "try on" the different colors.  You may want to experiment with that.

Since I live in Florida as well, I am acutely aware of the heat index, the direct rays of the sun and am a "green" person when it comes to energy conservation.  Any of these are pale enough to reflect rather than attract sunlight.

Best Regards,

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
Available at  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology