Decorating & Furniture/Decorating with mustard/gold & mahogany

Question
We're changing our master bedroom decor from floral drapes/bedspread. The bedroom walls are a mustard/yellow with white trim. Furniture is heavy - mahogany with reddish tint and antique gold trim. There are three windows against the wall facing the street. Black-out roll up shades are a light beige. The carpet is beige. The room size is about 16' x 12'.  What color bedding, curtains and accessories would work with this room? I'd like to lighten the feel of the room. My preference is clean lines, ocean colors but not wedded to this. I just bought white sheers with a navy empire valance and navy bedskirt but it looks black and not quite what we had in mind. Help!

Answer
Hi Beverly,

Thanks for choosing me to answer your question here at All Experts.  

My recommendation would be to opt for a more sophisticated palette, combining the mustard yellow with a chocolate brown/white combination.  If you can find a bed covering that is in a stripe, a block pattern, or an abstract that combines the chocolate, mustard and white - perfect.  

If that isn't possible, opt for simple white on white bedding to lighten up the visual weight in the room.  A weather appropriate weight down comforter (without a duvet for summer) will add an airy, clean lined appearance to your bed.  Add some throw pillows in (the blue if you're keeping it) mustard yellow and add a throw across the bottom of the bed for a hotel boutique look and feel.  

Add texture to the bedding via the pillows and throw - even a little sparkle would be great in a metallic.  

When the weather turns colder this fall/winter, purchase a simple duvet cover for the down comforter.  The navy will work if you opt to use it; if not, consider a green or chocolate brown to coordinate with the wall color.

Hope this spurs your creativity and decorating juices!

Jennifer  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik