Decorating & Furniture/sofa matching carpet

I have bought an Ashley Manor classic Downton sofa and chairs. It has a wide brown and light beige stripe. Could you please advise me what colour of carpet and curtains would match.

Hi Helen,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I don't always get the emails from AllExperts.  This is unfortunately what happened here.  

Thanks for writing and for your question.  

Since you have a neutral color palette with the brown and light beige stripe, you could add a jolt of color in curtains such as a vibrant cranberry red, a teal/turquoise shade or keep it neutral and use a pale beige drapery and add a decorative tie-back in brown.  

For carpeting, I'd stay neutral.  Here's why.  When your higher priced items are neutral, you have the leeway to add pops of color in your accessories.  Then if or when your tastes change, or you simply want something different, it's more economical to change accessory pieces than larger, more expensive items.

With your brown and white, the entire color spectrum is open to you, so I'd accent with a pop of color that you really love; from tangerine to teal, or lime green to gold, the sky is the limit.  If you're unsure about your favorite color, look in your closet.  Whatever color you gravitate to in clothing will be a color you'll enjoy in accessories.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology