Decorating & Furniture/sofa matching carpet

Question
I have bought an Ashley Manor classic Downton sofa and chairs. It has a wide brown and light beige stripe. Could you please advise me what colour of carpet and curtains would match.

Thanks
Helen

Answer
Hi Helen,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I don't always get the emails from AllExperts.  This is unfortunately what happened here.  

Thanks for writing and for your question.  

Since you have a neutral color palette with the brown and light beige stripe, you could add a jolt of color in curtains such as a vibrant cranberry red, a teal/turquoise shade or keep it neutral and use a pale beige drapery and add a decorative tie-back in brown.  

For carpeting, I'd stay neutral.  Here's why.  When your higher priced items are neutral, you have the leeway to add pops of color in your accessories.  Then if or when your tastes change, or you simply want something different, it's more economical to change accessory pieces than larger, more expensive items.

With your brown and white, the entire color spectrum is open to you, so I'd accent with a pop of color that you really love; from tangerine to teal, or lime green to gold, the sky is the limit.  If you're unsure about your favorite color, look in your closet.  Whatever color you gravitate to in clothing will be a color you'll enjoy in accessories.

Jennifer

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"
www.amazon.com

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik