Decorating & Furniture/TV Placement in small living/dining area dilemma

Dining/Living Area Layout
Dining/Living Area Lay  

We have just bought a small flat.  The living/dining hall has limited wall space which doesn't allow us to place our 42" flat screen tv easily.  

We have thought to place the tv on the wall in front of study but it may not be spacious after we put a set of sofa.  Furthermore, the walkway to the study and bedroom 2 will be narrow.  Also, it will be too near for tv viewers.

So, we are thinking of placing it against the balcony before the sliding door; meaning those who are sitting in the balcony will have a back view of the tv console.  This may look odd but we are really out of idea.

We hope to get your brilliant idea to help us on this.

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for writing me at All Experts with your question.  

In looking at the layout, it appears to me that if you want your television mounted on the wall, your best/only option is the wall in front of the study.  If you hang it there, mount is as high up on the wall as possible to allow more room for the walkway.  

If you will consider using a stand, then the best area is the balcony wall.  If you go this route, get a streamlined console that sits as low as possible and don't worry about what the people on the balcony will be viewing.  Besides, if they're on the balcony, they should be looking "out" not in.  Sequester your cables with ties and/or cable covers to keep it neat and tidy and don't be overly concerned about its placement.  

These are your two best options.  Wish I could create a more brilliant approach, but short of suspending it from a ceiling, these are the best.

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik, Author
"From Day One"  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology