Decorating & Furniture/How To Decorate After A Declutter

Hello Jennifer,

I am in the process of decluttering 30 years worth of collecting stuff. I have a contemporary 2-bedroom condo now with tan walls and beige carpeting but my stuff is a mishmash of various trends over the years. I have Southwest style couch and love seat, acrylic coffee table, two large Bateman nature prints on the wall, a 4 ft black vase with an Asian design, some animal print accessories, art deco furnishings in the bedroom with white plaster angels and a Victorian style tapestry, and kitschy 'frozen moments' sculptures in the kitchen among the decorative jars of colored beans and peppers in oil. I have a few vintage pieces (table and desk) from family and I'm also to inherit a very traditional china cabinet full of Royal Doulton ladies.

My question is, how do I go about making my space looking more put together, so it all flows nicely and is more updated? I am open to deleting some trends.  lol

Thank you Jennifer!

Hi Angie,

Wow, what a loaded question!  Thanks for choosing me from the All Experts team to answer it.  

Once your decluttering is done (and that is a monumental achievement!) take stock of what you truly LOVE and want to display.  Then either part with or store away the things that you do not want to include in your everyday surroundings.  

You have eclectic tastes for sure, and my best suggestion is to try and "group" like things together for a more coordinated look.  For instance, your traditional china cabinet and Royal Doulton ladies would pair well with your vintage table and desk.  

You may consider moving the animal print accessories to the bedroom as well as the Asian inspired vase.  You can pull that room together by using solid bed linens rather than the tapestry.  

Grouping things, and eliminating a mish mash of color will work well for you.  Color alone can make even 'unlike' things appear to fit.  Keep your color palette consistent within a room, and try to carry at least one color from room A to room B.  

Kitsch doesn't bode well for a space looking put together, and kitsch doesn't flow nicely, so I'd either store it or donate it.  

The kitchen mix of oils and peppers is fine, but remember, less IS more on kitchen counters.  My rule is clutter free makes me feel light and free.  Try it for a while and see if you don't feel freer.  

Hope this helps.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology