Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen Cabinet help

I'm having some trouble deciding what to do with the old kitchen cabinets that are in the house we just bought. We want to keep with the character of the home (country/traditional), but we do not want to spend a lot of money. Do you think there is a way to refinish these cabinets?

I like the natural wood, and I also like white cabinets.

Hi Jaime,

Thank you for your question and for selecting me to respond to it.  I see several options where these cabinets are concerned.  Let me offer a few suggestions, ranging from the most INexpensive to the costliest.  

lst solution:  remove the current cabinet hardware, and replace it with newer, more updated nickle or chrome;2nd solution:  remove hardware, sand and either restain or paint, then update hardware;  3rd solution:  reface the cabinet doors in your choice of cabinetry; and
4th solution: replace all the cabinets and hardware.  

The cabinets appear to be in good condition.  That's the first step in evaluating what to do.  If they are, then select one of the more inexpensive options.  If you like the wood stained as it is, and they are in good condition, why change it?   What "dates" this kitchen is the hardware and while it isn't always "cheap" to replace the pulls/knobs, it's a lot less expensive than the alternatives. There are many options available at all price points.  

If you are thinking about replacing the counters, consider a "remnant" from a slab of granite or silestone.  If that isn't affordable or available, look into granite tiles as an alternative.  

Hope this helps in making your decision.

PS:  Thanks for including your photo.  It really makes a huge difference when we have a visual!  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology