Decorating & Furniture/counter top colour

Question
I have chosen white cabinets for my kitchen.  The flooring is medium brown tones (Manington Sobella Posiedon "Earthquake").  We have large windows so there is a lot of natural light.  Should the counter top be lighter or darker than the floor?  Also, I am using a laminate so with so much light, should I use a matte finish or one of the new finishes that reflect light?  I like earthtones and would like to use a green as one of my accent colors with brown.  Also, the kitchen, dining, living room are all in one open space.
Thank you, I look forward to your reply.
Terry

Answer
Good Morning Terry,

Thank you for selecting me to respond to your decor question.  

Since you have a neutral brown tone for the flooring, I would continue that on the counter top, but use darker tones of brown.  Save the "green" for an accent color (which will be beautiful with the earthy browns).  

Since you have an abundance of natural light, I would use a reflective laminate to give the space a sparkle.  It will be beautiful.  

When you add the green accent to the kitchen, carry that same green shade into your open areas (dining, living room etc.) for continuity.  I'd also add a small touch of yellow, as well as a touch of black (even a trivet or vase) to ground the space.  

An old collegue of mine said a room wasn't complete without at least one touch of yellow.  She was right.  

Jennifer

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik