Decorating & Furniture/Paint and carpet colors

My den is 14x21 with half paneled walls in a light to medium brown finish. The other half of the walls are painted royal hunter green from Lowe's. I have dark brown leather furniture. The fireplace wall is all brick in shades of terra cotta, paprika and cinnamon. My husband wants to use a paprika shade of carpet from Couristan, with just a hint of green--you have to look hard to see it. My ? is will the room look like Christmas. What colors could I use in accessory's to maybe tone it down. An interior designer friend thinks it would really be a wow factor, cozy and inviting. The same carpet in a different pattern called Chive is mostly muted tans, browns and greens.I'm notsure how either would look. The carpet samples are so small. it's really hard to tell. Thanks for your help.

Hi Lynda,

Thanks for selecting me to answer your color question.

While I get that this is a den, my initial reaction is that the room is dark.  If that's the desired look you want fine.  If however, you are looking for comfy and cozy, I would opt to paint the half walls above the panels in a different color.  

Since you seem to gravitate toward fall tones, consider painting the walls in a paler shade of your brick; select either terracotta, paprika or cinnamon.  Once that decision is made, select the carpet.  

By doing this, you can accent the room in shades of green.  During the spring season you might opt for a pale celery green, in summer months, a brighter grassy green and in the fall/winter, you can add a shade or two of evergreen.  

As for a pop of color, my suggestion is the new and very hot shades of either yellow (bright, vibrant or buttery) and orange (a tangerine or melon).  

Good luck on your decision making.  Hope this helps.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology