Decorating & Furniture/Front Door and Shutters

We have a light sage color vinyl siding on a 2 story home and would like to change the color of the front door and shutters for a fresher look.  Sometimes the vinyl siding color can almost look like a light gray.  The trim is white.  Currently the shutters and front door are a grayish-blue color.  Our painter uses Sherwin Williams and Benajmin Moore - what other color can you suggest to compliment the light sage color?  We do not like the red or brick tones.

Hi Lee,

Thank you for selecting me to answer your question here at All Experts.  

Typically, front doors are more appealing and add more drama to the home when they are painted in a color different from the shutters, garage doors, etc.  In this case my recommendation would have been something in the red family, but since you expressly don't want red or brick tones, I would consider a chocolate brown, or a bluish grey tone (like slate).  

Whatever your selection, make the door significantly darker than the siding for a crisp pop of color and contrast.  

As a side note, my recommendation is to use a crisp white for the shutters and keep the front door color in a dark shade of either brown or grey.  The overall look will be more updated.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology