Decorating & Furniture/unusual floor layout

Question
We believe this house had an addition built on, which is why it has an unusual layout. The front door opens directly into the dining room. When you enter the dining room through the front door the kitchen is on the left, the living room is straight ahead, and on the diagonal there is another room with a slanted ceiling. The dining room is too small to put a table in without it feeling cramped and getting in the way of foot traffic from the kitchen and living room. We are currently using the “other room” with the slanted ceiling as a dining room. This is big enough to fit a table and chairs, and also has two skylights and a big patio door to offer lots of light. My question is, what should I do with the dining room? It’s hard to find furniture that fits in there without taking away from the openness, but I don’t want to just leave the room empty.

Answer
Hi Katie,

Thanks for your question.  It sounds as though this was an addition.  It also appears that you've made entirely the correct decision on how best to use the "slanted" room.  

As for the room which once was designated a dining room, I would suggest using it as an informal sort of "family" room.  If you like to read, set it up as a reading room with two comfy chairs and a reading lamp/table in between.  If you like music or play an instrument, this would be a great space to put a high end sound system or instrument and a couple of slipper chairs.  

In any event, I would recommend that you create a comfy intimate space for two or more and be happy that you have the openness it affords.

Thanks again for writing me,
Jennifer

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik