Decorating & Furniture/Mixing Woods Tones

I have a 15' wide built-in custom wall unit in my den that is stained a light pine. All moulding as well as wood window trim is also the same light pine. The decor is currently country. I would like to update this room and was hoping to bring in a dark wood floor as well as a dark leather couches. Would it be OK to leave the pine stain on everything or should I paint over all the pine?

Hi Toni,

Happy New Year and thanks for the question.  If you are "happy" with the trim color and the custom wall unit, leave it as is.  You can easily add a darker floor with great results.  Mixing wood tones is perfectly fine.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology