Decorating & Furniture/colour for an easy chair

Hello, I like vintage, silk or brocade textiles.I have an oyster & green stripe sofa with long oyster curtains trimmed with green I have a wooden floor not too dark ,but a light almost white rug (which I know is wrong!) I did have an easy chair in a different pattern green ,which I got rid off as it was so worn ,shall I stick with another green chair? someone advised damson (I can't see me with that!!)or should I lift the room with coloured cushions ? I feel lost .oh! I have a cream mable fireplace Hope you can help me .Thank you jOY

Thanks for writing me and for your question.

You've hit on the right idea.  "Lift the room with colored cushions" the perfect choice, particularly since you like vintage patterns and colors.  

If you purchase another chair (or recover the one you have/had) stick with a solid color and accessorize it with the more inexpensive option of cushions/throw pillows.  It's cheaper and easier to change accessories than to purchase new furniture pieces!  

Select your cushions/pillows from vintage fabrics that have reds or particularly cranberry reds in them.  That will coordinate nicely with your oyster and green stripe sofa.  

Hope this helps.  Don't feel lost...write back if you have more questions!

PS:  I do not think the white rug is a mistake...sounds nice to me.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology